The title came about from reading this article
In it Street photographer Jonathon Higby considers why street photography must bow to “rules”.
Now while I predominately shoot fashion and glamour models I do like to do “street” stuff for my own pleasure. It’s a great way to get creative juices flowing – and no pressure!
But what are my internal “rules”
1) I don’t stage shots. I ocassionally ask if the subject would mind if I took the shot..but that is very rare.
2) no extensive photoshop work. I crop images, adjust light levels a bit. But no re-touching, manipulation etc. I do convert to black and white and adjust contrast.
3) no intrusion of what I would call personal issues. That means the mentally ill, homeless, down and outs etc. I am also not really trying to make political statements.
4) very very rarely children. It’s sad but nowadays single 60 plus single males with a camera near children are seen as a “threat” that exercises the sensibilities of well…everyone! Not worth the hassle
5) I reserve the right to amend and bend my rules as and when I see fit.
My advice to people thinking of trying this genre? Go for it..you will be surprised how much fun it is!
My gear is usually my Fuji XT-10 and 35mm lens.